Monday, May 4, 2009

It's been a long time since I rock and roll

It stinks that Cadillac took that song from Zepplin-but I guess everything is becoming a commercial. See Jennifer's blog at http://jennfrancesca.blogspot.com on her January 22, 2009 post to read about her same concern of advertisers high jacking classic songs. I think for me the Taco Bell taking "I'll Stop the world and melt with you." is one of the most upsetting. Probably because I find myself craving tacos whenever I'm listening to the 80's station on Sirius satellite radio.

Advertising seems so out of hand.

I'm grateful it hasn't crept into worship. Wouldn't it be awkward if during the prayer of confession we had as part of the unison prayer:

"...forgive us we pray for all of our sins of things we've done and left undone. This prayer brought to you by Franklin Covey who helps you plan ahead and get more done in less time-that's Franklin Covey."

or even worse how about: "Our Father who art in Heaven...speaking of heaven have you tried the new Godiva chocolate truffles available now at Godiva.com?"

or: "The word of the Lord.

Thanks be to God-not only for the Lord's word but for the word you can trust in car insurance-Geico".

Call to worship

"This is the day that the Lord has made

Let us rejoice and be glad in it. Glad brings you quality home storage and disposal products as well as portability for your foodstuffs."

I think you get the point.

Just to be clear if I can interest anyone I am selling ad space on my bald spot. Rogaine would seem the obvious choice-HOWEVER if it was a working product then that would actually be counter-intuitive. So bald spot advertising-maybe the other choice for advertising on bald spots would be "Corvette-it's what makes you able to face your mortality." but the spots not that big yet-so maybe just "Corvette" within a Chevy Logo would be enough.

I think in order to drive a Corvette though you also have to grow a mustache-that's what Colin Cowherd said on his radio show-The Herd on ESPN radio.

By the way-this blog that's sort of about advertisement has made reference to many different products and services that will show up in searches on Google thus will hopefully promote this blog indirectly. We're all part of the madness...resistance is futile.

I'm so ashamed. Maybe there's a pharmaceutical product we can all use called "Shameitol. Relieves those pesky feelings self flagellation brought on by years of religious upbringing."

Dwight

1 comment:

Jennifer Johnson said...

Ironically, I was going into advertising when I was called into the ministry. So, it's a different kind of advertising now. Redemptive. Now, I'm going back to see what the heck I wrote in January.