Wednesday, May 20, 2009

American Idol (atry)

We like to put things, people, possessions, anything that is not imbued with life or capable of relationship as the focus of our awareness (or our lack of awareness as the case may be). One focus we place front and center is television programming.

I confess too much of my time is spent huddled at the altar of satellite television and DVR of the programs I can't watch live. I count myself as chief among sinners in this form of self medication.

Twice a week for the past several months my oldest daughter and I have watched with fascination the show that has millions upon millions of folks glued to the TV-American Idol. We're waiting now for the final show of the season-to see who will be voted the next entertainer to emerge as the most beloved according to phone in votes.

The show is a juggernaut in terms of ratings and revenue. The formula works. Amateur entertainers vying to be the most loved and getting both instant and delayed gratification of their performance in the form of feedback from the judges and the voice of the viewers who spend hours texting, and phoning in votes.

I think there are often over 30 million who vote a night. The sheer volume of calls and votes makes me begin to think "I wonder what it would be like for 30 million people to all organize their energy to feed hungry people twice a week?". Or "What might happen if twice a week 10-60 million people gave a dollar to the same charitable organization-just one dollar? How many lives would be changed?" or "What if the time we spent on the couch consuming the ads, the entertainment, instead was dedicated to conversations with our family, working out, or cooking meals ahead?" My guilt at watching is apparent as you see.

I also think "I'm glad that after every sermon I deliver I don't have to stand up in the front of the church on Sundays and have four judges give me their honest opinions about what I've just said. I'm also glad that in the background I'd also hear the congregation cheering or jeering after the sermon." In some ways maybe that would be a good motivator to combat mediocre preaching. Have an Emcee to start the service "This is American Preacher". Maybe I could get a show together and sell it to the religious broadcasting networks with the permission of Simon Fuller.

I can hear the hip Urban judge saying "Yo dog, I was feelin' what you were sayin' about Jesus and his love for humanity-but I gotta tell ya in spots I was really bored with it." The glowing unconditional positive regard from the two glamorous women judges "You were AMAZING. The level of emotion you exhibit moves my soul and anyone who watches you preach who isn't moved there is something wrong with them." Finally the snotty English judge who would say "You know this is a competition and for me it seemed a little too karaoke-ish to me-like a group of friends sitting around in their basement doing a Bible study-not at all that entertaining really."

While the pressure or the direct accountability and publicity may heighten the level of preaching and the time spent preparing what how we're going to present the gospel on Sunday mornings, we have to know that preaching is not a competitive sport. Christianity isn't a competitive sport. Too often the Christian faith shows itself to be about judging who is "the best" Christian. We do this so that we can put ourselves over and above the next person thinking "I am more faithful than THEM because I do ________________." (fill in the blank).

To engage in this behavior is to do what so often we preachers do-we begin to think that Christianity, or life in general is either MOSTLY about us, or even about ONLY us. Dr. Phil while a bit hokie sometimes has that phrase that helps us remember what is true for relationships of all sorts and is particularly important to remember as Christians "IT'S NOT ABOUT YOU!" It's about Jesus. Jesus is to be our object of worship-our focus of adoration, and is one who doesn't make us stand on a stage to judge whether we're worthy to move on to the next round.

Jesus is one to join with us in singing, laughing, living, and loving without piling on unrealistic expectations and assigning value based on works. We are loved by, and saved by the Grace of Jesus Christ-something given by God because God chooses to love us. We don't have to try to be "good enough to be loved"-God has already loved us before a judgment can be made about us. In return we're asked to live a life shaped by the gratitude we have for the love God. This life is one marked by loving in return. So our actions or our "works" begin from the place of a grateful heart and mind-grateful for God's love and forgiveness. If we begin at that place then comparing our works with others begins to seem like what it is ludicrous and dare I say it-a form of idolatry.

Even in the midst of our guilty pleasures God is there with us to encourage us and teach us about our worth as it pertains to the immeasurable love God has for all of us. You and I are and each human being is a beloved child of God in whom God is well pleased.

That being said I hope Adam Lambert wins because he's way cool and is SO much better than Kris.

;-)
Pastor Dwight

No comments: