Friday, June 5, 2009

Spared





I was returning home to Springfield OH heading north on I-65. I was about 60 miles south of Louisville Kentucky near a town called Horse Cave Kentucky.

My car hydroplaned after some standing water on the interstate lifted me into the median. The car turned around 180 degrees and slid into the median and then into oncoming southbound I-65 traffic where I was hit by a semi seconds later. The impact sent me back into the median where the car came to rest and where I miraculously (I believe) walked away from the wreck. The pictures demonstrate the extent of damage. Call it luck or blessed (which I call it) but whatever you call it I am grateful to God. I was wearing my seat belt and both airbags deployed.

The tractor trailer truck that struck me ended up in the median about fifty yards from me. An additional tractor trailer drove off the side of the road to land on its side just over the guard rail. None of the drivers were injured. The car is as you can see was crushed. It used to be a 2003 Honda Civic.

The injuries I received are not commiserate with the damage to the car thankfully. It was totaled-I was not. For that I am grateful.

In looking at the car you may not believe that a person could have survived.

My thoughts are that it is difficult to address a question like "Why did God spare me and not the innocent child who has suffered harm? Or why me and not someone else?" That question is not helpful or answerable. I can only say that I survived and that I plan to continue ministry with a renewed gratitude.

I'm sore and recovering-the alternative is much less appealing.

I hope God can help you who read this and me find a sense of gratitude whether it comes from something dramatic or overwhelming or something as taken for granted as a smile from someone. I count myself blessed and lucky, and grateful to be among the living.

I pray that you find your gratitude-and that you are able to do so easily each day.

The love of God is present for you and for me and all of humanity-and it always will be-in life and in death we belong to God. Know you are precious in God's sight and that you are loved.

Grace,
Dwight

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As a fellow Honda Civic Wreck survivor, my prayers are with you. The Lord is good, and I hope you're able to recover quickly.