Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Golden moments

Are you like me? Do you have Olympic Fever? Not even a rash? Or a cough?

For whatever reason I've been camping out in front of the television at night and watching intently as athletes from all over the world swim like dolphins wearing those nifty swimsuits that look like unitards or something. I think it'd be fun to just own clothing like that-all aerodynamic and shiny.

It'd be more comfortable and moisture absorbent too.

Some pitfalls would of course be the lack of modesty-or where to put your wallet, your keys and your cell phone.

But if I was Michael Phelps I'd wear that suit and my medals everywhere. I can't believe how dominant he is. Performance enhancing drugs? Who knows?

But if he DID wear his unitard suit everywhere instead of an Olympic hero he'd be treated more like Radio from the movie of the same title where Cuba Gooding plays a developmentally disabled dude who loves football-wait isn't that ALL of us football fans? Well maybe just those who root for Philadelphia and Washington.

In Radio Gooding Junior had such memorable lines as "Where my pie?" and "Dere your ball." God it was amazing. How the academy overlooked him I'll never know.

But I still think aerodynamic unitards are the future of clothing-much better than the fifties movies that portrayed all future people wearing that shiny silver lamay material that was also a one piece suit with some boots or something.

The U.S. women's gymnastic team fell short in their quest for the gold-but it was good television.

I couldn't understand the controversy over the age of the Chinese girls competing. Wouldn't being twelve instead of sixteen give the advantage to the older gymnasts? Some of the Chinese girls looked like they were about six years old. Nothing new for gymnasts to look young-but if they were sixteen-then I'm a petite model for aerodynamic swimsuits. Still it looks like the older gymnasts would be at a mental advantage.

Of course if you're not watching the Olympics none of this means anything to you. I then invite you to get a radio, carry it around close to your ear, and ask people "Where my pie?" That would create for you-your own golden moment.

Later,
D

No comments: