Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Beginning to laugh

Proverbs tells the reader that "Laughter heals the bones". I believe that-I believe laughter heals a lot of things. I've got a story I'll have to look up and link to of a man who had cancer who went and rented all the Laurel and Hardy Videos and Three Stooges he could find along with the Marx Brothers etc. He was determined not only to remain joyful during his illness but also to try to get well. The story may be an urban legend-but as it ends he is healed from what was supposed to have killed him.

While I don't anticipate a faith healing ministry via this blog and the inevitably upsetting sarcasm, goofiness and absurdity it will contain-I trust that when you read it you will find fodder for your funny bones.

For me while the source of what makes me laugh is often far from holy or righteous-the result of laughter to me is close to the very heart of God-to have joy expressed in bodily form holds great value for me-and I consider it a ministry as well as an outlet for creativity. I hope too that it will be a source of joy for you to read.

While I am far from a Samuel Clemens-aka Mark Twain I ascribe to a straight shooting irreverent style of rhetoric and ridicule-I bet you're already impressed by my use of alliteration twice in only four paragraphs aren't you? Probably not.

I'm a clergy person who is 37 years old and who's been a pastor for ten years in the parish setting. My humor is sometimes obtuse, sometimes offensive, and always seeking to make you respond whether in a positive or a negative way. My faith is grounded in Christ-but often my topic of ridicule is the Christian faith and the ways in which not only I, but all of us fail to live up to our calling to love one another.

If you don't find anything to laugh about here-I want to encourage you to find something in your life that makes you laugh until your belly hurts, you cry, or your face hurts from so much smiling and guffawing.

Here's to loads of fun with one another.

Grace and peace to you and yours,

Pastor Dwight

No comments: