Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Nothing funny

Some concepts I use during my standup-the somewhat darker humor that creeps in on "bad days."

It's hard being a minister because people don't expect a minister to be a pessimist. I catch myself saying things like "Ministry would be so much easier if it weren't for all of the people I have to talk to." and "You know I really understand why God flooded the earth-it's too bad God promised not to do it again." It just doesn't work to talk that way.

It's weird being Christian and having to give out the forgiveness we've been given because we'd much rather see vengeance. In fact that's why I'm advocating that we bring back smiting. I've come up with an invention that's a smite button you can carry around with you. You can set it to any one of the plagues of Egypt in the book of Exodus.

When someone cuts you off in traffic-just break out your smite button and set it to "BOILS" and drive up beside the person and watch the fun begin!

Or if you happen to be from one of the denominations that doesn't approve of drinking and you find yourself at the liquor store and see someone from church and you'd rather avoid that confrontation-pull out your smite button and set it to "GNATS"-press the button and PRESTO! You've got a good distraction to make your getaway unseen into the parking lot.

Finally when you have a smart alec preacher who makes light of faith and sometimes looks at the negative in life-set your smite button to the "ANGEL OF DEATH" and see if he doesn't change his tune.

Is that too dark? It seems a bit dark. Well God loves us through the darkness and brings us the light of laughter-as Scripture reminds us that to God "even the dark is as bright as the noon day." I hope that knowing that makes you grin even if you're not into my thematic humor known as sacred macabre.

Laugh often and pray even more often so we can laugh more.

Grace to you and yours,
Dwight

No comments: